No business manager or owner wants to see theirs go up in smoke. The problem is that most do not have a plan in place to deal with fire if it happens. New survey data show that only 35% have a real plan for such an instance. The problem is that fires do a lot of damage to homes and businesses every year. It has been estimated that in the hotel and motel industry, every year at least 15 people are killed and another 150 hurt by fires. These businesses experience nearly $76 billion in property damage. The good news in all of this is that most fires can be prevented. Having the right fire alarm systems, coupled with decent plans and a good fire protection services company can limit the number of fires and the damage they do.
Tips for Getting the Best Fire Protection System:
- Look at your local and state laws. When it comes to fire protection and fire alarm systems in businesses, you need to find out what is required of you as a business owner or manager. Different states, cities and towns have their own rules and regulations for fire alarm systems and ways to shut down a fire once it has started. Some of this will depend on the kind of business you operate as many fires are started in business kitchens. If you have a store or other kind of business that does not have a kitchen, you are still required to follow the rules and regulations of your area.
- You need a few components to your fire protection plans. Businesses need to put in adequate fire alarm systems but their responsibility does further. You also will need fire sprinkler systems and workers, properly lighted exits and a means to alert the local fire department when a fire occurs. Having a good fire alarm repair company can also help a lot.
- You should work out a plan. If you manage or own a business, you should work with your staff to develop plans for certain emergencies such as fires. There is adage that when “everyone” is expected to do something,”no one” will because the responsibility will fall to “someone else.” Designate certain staff members who will be trained on how to use your fire extinguishers and who will be put in charge when an emergency occurs. In addition to that, you need to have a clear plan for getting all clients, customers and staff out of your business if there is a fire.
- Practice your plan. Having a plan is totally useless if no one understands it and knows what to do if something happens. You want the people who work for you to stay as calm as possible in the event of an emergency. The very best way to make sure that happens is to take the time to go over and practice any plans that you work out. Knowing what to do in theory and knowing what to do in practice are very different things.
- You need to keep everything in working order. Having your fire alarm systems installed is not a “fix it and forget it” kind of thing. All of the fire that you have to signal or put out a fire needs to be tested and maintained on a regular basis. Often, when a fire gets out of control, the reason is because somewhere in the fire alarm systems or in the fire containment process, something goes wrong. You can do a lot to make sure that does not happen in your business if you follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the proper testing and repair or replacement of the equipment you have in your business.
- Make sure everyone knows who to call when there is an emergency. You need to make sure everyone who needs to reach you and the senior staff has the contact numbers handy. This will help your peace of mind and keep everyone who needs to know what is going on in the loop.
Fire safety should be a priority for all business owners and managers. Any money or time spent on this will help you in the long run.