Digital Marketing The Statistics and the Impact
A website is one of the most important aspects of advertising and promotion that a small business can have. A website is the virtual location of the business on the Internet, like the brick and mortar store is the location of the business in whatever city the business is operating out of.
There are many statistics surrounding the importance of websites. They revolve around a website being updated often to meet the growing needs of an audience that is used to being treated with the latest technology. They also revolve around keyword importance.
- A site that?s even two years old may be antiquated if it has not kept up with changes in the industry. Your site requires updates and maintenance as new devices and browsers change how sites are accessed and displayed.
- A study of Fortune 500 websites showed that 63% have content above the fold, 50%feature a scrolling content window of some kind, 63% use high quality images that connect with their users, and the average loading time is 6.5 seconds.
- Your website needs to tell your customers what you do in 3 seconds or less. 40% of people will abandon a web page if it takes more than three seconds to load.
- The change in a website bounce rate spikes to 100% when a page takes 4 seconds or more to load. It jumps to 150% if a page takes 8 seconds or more to load.
- Nearly half (46%) of people say a website?s design is their number one criterion for determining the credibility of a company.
Website design and the content that goes on websites is a part of what marketers term as “digital marketing.” Digital marketing is a subset of marketing as a whole and focuses on marketing for a business on the digital landscape. This means social media, website, search engine optimization, mobile websites, and more.
There are many different ways that digital marketers look to increase the value of a company on the digital level. These include the following statistics, which were taken as part of surveys about digital marketers, customers, and business owners, all of which have a role to play on the digital landscape.
- Asked to name their number-one challenge, 15% of digital marketers said ?meeting the expectations of the always-connected customer,? 14% chose ?executing consistent campaigns that drive desired business outcomes? (i.e., leads or revenue) and 13% cited the proliferation of channels across paid, owned and earned media.
- Marketers in the U.S. will spend nearly $24 billion on online display advertising this year, and 59% of CMOs view display ads as an effective marketing channel.
- 80% of consumers do ?a lot? of online research for major purchase decisions, and 46% say they count on social media when making such choices.
- Companies spent, on average, 25% of total marketing budgets on digital in 2014. But that figure is projected to jump to 75% within the next five years.
- Only 8% of companies have an email marketing team, despite the fact it is often rated as the platform the delivers the highest ROI of any digital marketing tactic.
A digital marketing company is a company that specializes in numerous avenues for digital marketing. A digital marketing company may focus on search engine optimization. A digital marketing company may focus on content creation. A digital marketing company may focus on website design. A digital marketing company may focus on images or social media.
There are many terms associated with digital marketing and digital marketing companies. Some include software design, software development, web design, social media marketing, SEO, an SEO company, digital marketing services, digital marketing solutions, branding, a company brand, and more.
Digital marketers have the difficulty of putting out content and maintaining content and getting a company to rise in search engines when other companies are doing the same thing (or some of them are). This is difficult because there is competition online just as there is competition in the actual world.
It is all very difficult for the digital marketers, like the search engine optimization writers who do a good job with articles but struggle with the fact that very few people will ever read them. Digital marketing in some cases can be a thankless job, unless it involves social media which gets a visceral reaction.