Fire Prevention Is Important to All Property Owners
Many things are important during both the new construction and remodeling processes. From energy efficient heating and cooling systems to building security measures, while you are in the process of building a new home or renovating an existing space, there are many important concerns to address. Perhaps none are as important, however, than the fire alarm services that are installed. Especially in large buildings like hospitals, hotels, schools, and other public buildings, the fire alarm services play an important role in protecting both life and property.
For this reasons there are fire alarm inspection services across the country that provide at least yearly, and sometimes every six months, checks to make sure that buildings are as safe as possible. In fact, no new building can be moved into and no renovated space can be used until fire protection services have given their approval. Even a small fire in an apartment building that houses hundreds of residents can cause many casualties if the right protective services are not in place.
Kitchens in restaurants and other premises that serve large groups of people are especially susceptible to loss of life and property damage if the proper fire alarm and sprinkler systems are not in place. Consider some of these facts and figures about fire alarm services and the impact that they have on the nation’s economy:
- Non-chemical suppression systems operate effectively 96% of the time, in commercial areas with large oven ranges.
- 44% of dry or possibly wet chemical system failures were due to lack of maintenance.
- Early Warning Fire Detection systems are required for all small data centers that are below 2,500 square feet.
- The combination of early warning systems and automatic sprinklers in all buildings could reduce overall injuries, loss of life, and property damage by at as much as 50%.
- Over the past 30 years, fires in warehouse properties have declined substantially from 4,700 in the year 1980 to 1,200 in the year 2011.
- 19% of non-confined fires in hospitals are caused by electrical malfunction accounts.
Building maintenance is always important. Both at work and at home, the importance of maintaining and inspecting a fre prevention system, however, is likely one of the most important steps you can take.